Saturday, October 1, 2011

Halloween Wreath + Tutorial

Thanks to Pinterest I have tons of ideas for Halloween decorations!   
 I've had that Christmas morning feeling as I counted down the final days of September. I decided that I'd put out all my Halloween decorations on the 1st and October has FINALLY arrived!!! 

My favorite decoration is my new Halloween wreath. 


Brendon spotted this wreath in Target.  I liked the ornaments that looked like jack-o-lanterns, but it wasn't quite up to my standards.  I immediately thought, "I can make that!" 


Here's how I made it.... 

Supplies: 
Jack-o-Lantern ornaments (Mine are from Target)
Large ornaments - 12 black, 12 matte orange and 12 shiny orange
Small ornaments -12 black and 12 orange
2 black feather boas
Foam wreath circle
Floral wire
LOTS of hot glue


Brendon helped me by drilling two holes in the back of the jack-o-lantern ornaments.  We threaded a piece of wire into the holes and attached them to the wreath with the excess wire.  



He also spray painted the floral foam wreath for me.  The feather boa covers the foam (so feel free to skip this step). We had black spray paint and at the time, we weren't sure if the foam was going to be visible. 


Wrap the feather boa around the wreath and tie down the jack-o-lantern ornament.  Then, go hot glue gun crazy!! I attached the large ornaments around the outside and filled in the center sections with the smaller ornaments. 


This is where I had to stop on day 1 of the wreath project. I had already used up all of my supplies and I only had half a wreath decorated.  And, it was Sunday--- the only day of the week that Hobby Lobby is closed!  Why is it that I NEED Hobby Lobby and Chick-fil-a on Sundays?  


After a Monday morning trip to The Lobby and Owen's afternoon naptime, we had a beautiful Halloween wreath! 


The jack-o-lanterns even have little lights inside that look amazing at night! 

4 comments:

  1. love this! the feathers are the perfect touch! great job!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it totally needed the feathers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so dang cute! I could easily reverse the colors and make an orange blackground with bats or black witch silhouettes on top. Or! A black on black theme with glitter paper bat silhouettes all around and a color witch ornament! This is so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete